Saturday, May 7, 2011

Thanks, Mom!


I've written a great deal here about my Dad.  In fact, this blog was titled after a phrase Dad often uttered, and I've discussed his idiosyncrasies and work ethic in more than one post.

And yet, one person has remained in the background, content to stay in the shadows.  That's my Mom, Saundra Lee Simmons Donnelly.  I thought I'd remedy that today in order to honor her this Mother's Day.

This is a picture of her before she married a paranoid, quick-tempered husband and gave birth to five children in the span of seven years.  Doesn't she look so beautiful and rested?

Truth is, Mom has always been a beauty, inside and out.  While Dad was out working three jobs to pay for food and ballet lessons, Mom was single-handedly, lovingly, running the show at home.  

I don't think Mom ever left the driver's seat of our station wagon from the years 1972-1986.  She was shuttling us to ballet, softball, band practice, and gymnastics.  She was our girl scout leader and the first to volunteer for countless fundraisers for drill team, majorettes, and Thespian society. She sewed our ballet and swing choir costumes, hemmed our skirts, mended our blouses, and taught us how to knit, sew, embroider and crochet.  

She was always so quiet, lovely, and beautiful.   I remember being a little girl and hoping I'd turn out just like her.  Unfortunately, I inherited Dad's slow metabolism and short temper.  Sometimes, life just isn't fair, people.  

(This, by the way, is a picture of Mom holding my dog Trixie.  Like all animals, Trixie adores her because she's so sweet and gentle.  Here, she has fallen asleep, burying her head in Mom's arm.) 

But soft spoken and ladylike as Mom was, she definitely had her "Mama Bear" moments.  I remember one occasion when she felt that our band director had treated one of us unfairly, and she called and firmly gave him a piece of her mind, insisting he "rethink" his actions.  He did!

So, here's to you, Sandy Donnelly.  Thanks for everything you've done, all you continue to do, and for making me feel so loved and special all these years! I hope I've made you proud, and that you feel that the woman I've become was worth all the hard work you did for me! I love you!!

Thanks for Reading!!

19 comments:

Shan said...

We should all be so lucky. :+)

Sylvia K said...

A lovely tribute to your mother and we should all be so fortunate! Thanks for sharing!

Sylvia

Kakka said...

You certainly have a beautiful and amazing mother - Happy Mother's Day to her from the other side of the world. Beautiful post J, just beautiful xxx

Shady Del Knight said...

Well, there's no doubt about it. Saundra Lee Simmons Donnelly can be very proud of her daughter Joanie, one of the smartest and nicest people I've ever known. This is a wonderful tribute to your mother, Joan. She must have had the patience of Job to handle all of those children at the same time. Dogs have a sixth sense and gravitate to sweet, gentle people. That picture brought a tear to my eye. Happy Mother's day, Sandy! You are a beautiful person inside and out!

Anonymous said...

I've always thought your mother was sweet and beautiful. Barb Cooper

Unknown said...

What a great tribute to your Mom. You are lucky you still have her.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm so happy for you Joan.
This was a great post for your Mom.

Looking for Blue Sky said...

She sounds like a perfect Mom, and so beautiful, hope you get to celebrate many more Mother's Days with her xx

ReformingGeek said...

That's so sweet. Your mom is lovely.

Happy Mother's Day to her and to you, too!

Liz Mays said...

Your mom sounds wonderful! I love that she was gentle-natured, but when she needed to be tough, she could be!

Shady Del Knight said...

Joanie, I have given you a blog award. Please come pick it up at your earliest convenience. Have a wonderful day, dear friend!

Cheeseboy said...

My mom is the same. Soft spoken and sweet, but a beast when she needs to be. Your mom sounds awesome.

Anonymous said...

Both of you have the best of both worlds. A loving mother and a loving daughter.

Unknown said...

Here's to all the mothers, and to all their wonderful children! *clink*

Janet said...

"Quiet, lovely and beautiful." Indeed! I always admired your mother. A deserved tribute, Joan.

Rachel said...

Your mom sounds amazing! And I bet you're more like her than you think...

Carrie Lynne said...

Ahh nuts! I have to go and call my Mom.

شركه تنظيف said...

كشف تسربات المياه بحائل
مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط مكافحة الصراصير بالعجينة السحرية بالرياض شركة تنظيف منازل بالبخار بخميس مشيط نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط كشف تسربات المياه بخميس مشيط نقل اثاث بالرياض 300 ريال

BarbaraJeanne said...

This is beautiful. I feel inspired to do more. #superwoman

Post a Comment

Wow! You're going to comment? Congrats, you are now, officially, one of the COOL people!! (And, thanks!)