Since I am far, far (better add one more), FAR from what you'd call "computer savvy," I resisted for a while, assuming such awesomeness was beyond my ability. But then I once again consulted the ever-helpful Kelly of Kellyansapansa who sent me to a few "free blog template" sites, and that's where I found this one! I love it for a plethora of reasons: the expression on the woman's face, her cute pearl necklace and daisy earrings, and the sweet daisies emerging from her computer, indicating that what she is writing is refreshing and lovely!! The wood paneling is a subtle nod to my dad, the carpenter, who's quirky quote I pay homage to in my title! There are still a few glitches to work through, but overall I must say I'm quite pleased with my new look!
I must confess, though, the process of actually INSERTING the template into my existing blog was excruciating! It involved me showing Alan the template I wanted, then handing him my laptop! Oh, the agony! I then had to sit next to him while he changed font colors, font sizes, and added something called "widgets." My job was to nervously wring my hands as he performed the appropriate clicks and drags that made the magic happen.
I was a wreck!! I kept imagining him technically zigging when he should have zagged, and suddenly my entire five months' worth of writing would be dislodged, sent adrift somewhere in cyberspace, never to be seen again. I mean, can you imagine not being able to read about my awesome skort collection or the carefree maneuvers of a dancing Asian woman in an Irish pub in Vegas? Inconceivable, I know!
However, my STUD of a husband once more prevailed, my stories are safe, and I have a new look! I feel like I've just left a hair salon with a fresh new cut and style! Fabulous, Dahling!! Hope you like it too.
OK, enough self-praising -- I need to get to my writing topic for today (after all, you NEVER know when my writing teacher will once again decide to check up on my "Naked Blog!"). I actually have more news, but I must preface it with this:
When I was in high school, I wanted desperately to be chosen to be Homecoming Queen. Who wouldn't, really? You get escorted onto the football field before the Homecoming game, and if your name is announced out of the five finalists, they give you a crown and a bouquet of roses! Then, you get to wave to everyone in the stands whilst sitting on the back of a slowly moving convertible, on which is draped a banner displaying your name and new royal title. The next night, you don your new crown and attend the Homecoming Dance, of which you are the main focus, and you dance with your date while the Homecoming Dance theme is played (In my day it was usually something by Styxx or Aerosmith). Hundreds of photos of you are snapped for the yearbook and local papers. Sigh!
Here's my only problem: I was in choir, band (marching and concert), and drama. That's pretty much the "Trifecta of Geekdom" at most schools, mine was no exception. I had a FANTASTIC time being a member of all three of these groups, but I was most certainly NOT popular, and definitely not "Homecoming Queen-worthy."
But my friend, the beautiful, skinny, golden-haired, blue-eyed Debbie, WAS!! She was one of the finalists that was to take the football field that cold October evening back in 1981. Debbie wasn't sure what to wear for the crowning ceremony, so I lent her my rust, silk ruffle blouse --it looked GORGEOUS on her! And guess what? Debbie GOT it!! She was crowned, handed her roses, had her picture taken for posterity, all while wearing MY blouse!! If you were to look in the 1982 Nordonia High School yearbook today, you would see that picture of Debbie and her escort on that football field sporting a lovely, shiny, silky, gorgeous top. I feel like I somehow shared the crown with her that night via that blouse. Not sure what Debbie would have to say about that, but you and I know the truth, don't we?
Up until very recently, that's about as close as I've ever come to winning anything. But I've got to tell you, I think even Debbie would be envious that I've just been awarded yet ANOTHER honor from a fellow blogger!! (I KNOW!!) Man, this is WAY better than that whole homecoming blouse thing!
I LOVE this one, because it's titled the "Happy 101" Award, given to me by my new friend GregoryJ at living my life, whatever. He said it's because I'm a blogger that brightens his day! Don't you just LOVE GregoryJ? Thanks, Gregory, you have no idea how much you've brightened MINE with this honor! Yay!!
Ok, rules with this one include listing ten things that make me happy, then tagging ten more bloggers who brighten MY day! Easy-peasy!! Let's get right to it:
Ten Things That Make Me Happy:
1. My husband, Alan. I know, it's so cliche and I talk about him WAY too much, but I can't discuss happiness without putting him very first on the list. He's my favorite person. On earth. Period. I love EVERY DAY of growing old with him. I love how he can engage in an intense phone conversation with his CEO, making decisions that directly effect a billion dollar company, then hang up and immediately perform a crazy, silly dance that sends Trixie into a barking, sprinting frenzy that can only be quelled with a climactic "toilet flush of joy." Which leads me to my next pick...
2. My pets. I love how Trixie the terrier, Vegas the cockatiel, and Cleveland the canary all posses such wonderfully weird personalities. To say they make me happy is a supreme understatement.
3. Sir Mix-a-Lot's song, "Baby Got Back." I know, it can get a little R-rated, but I LOVE how it applauds all women who aren't a size two, and calls us beautiful and sexy! When I was training for a half-marathon, this was my FAVORITE song with which to run. Only problem was that it made me want to dance, which kind of threw-off my running cadence a bit, but TOTALLY worth it!! Incidentally, I don't actually posses a lot of "back," just enormous thighs. But until Sir Mix-a-Lot produces a song titled "Baby Got Tree Trunks," this one will do just fine!
4. Football. I love EVERYTHING about football. My favorite may be the exhilaration of watching the ball being released from the quarterback's hand in an amazingly beautiful, long, arched pass attempt. The camera will follow the ball, then pan down to show the receiver, in full stride. Then the receiver reaches to catch it and runs into the end zone. The crowd goes wild. Pure. Bliss. My team, the Cleveland Browns, will make it to the Super Bowl someday and THAT will make me very, very happy indeed!!
5. Eating at McDonald's. I know it's terrible for you and I only eat there once a month, if that, but I LOVE it! I think it has something to do with the fact that when we were kids, going to eat at "The Golden Arches" was a huge, big deal. The "specialness" of it all has never worn off, I guess!
6. Volunteering. I had no idea that giving such a TINY piece of my time could evoke such enormous joy and sense of fulfillment in me. I'm completely hooked.
7. The flavors of chocolate and mint combined. Mmmmmm. Do I really need to say more?
8. Being the recipient of flowers delivered to your home or office. Seriously, is there anything sweeter than that FTD man strolling up to your desk, carrying that vase covered in green tissue paper? Complete, pure joy!!!
9. Watching snow fall. There's just nothing prettier. After living in Florida for sixteen years, now that I'm back up north, I just can't get enough of it, driveway shoveling and all!
10. People who comment on my posts and become followers of my blog. Quite honestly, whenever I turn on my computer in the morning and see that the number has increased under the "Followers" column, I literally squeal with delight! And the comments make me wish I could reach into the cyberworld and give you all a big squeeze!! (That didn't sound creepy at all, did it?)
Well, there you have it! Now, I must tag ten more blogs that bring me joy. This is an impossible task, because I've visited so many astoundingly fantastic blogs over the last few weeks. I'm going to go with these, but know there are literally dozens more that make me BLISSFULLY happy! Please check out the "Blogs I'm Following" section of my profile to see the full list! Here's ten of them:
A Nut in a Nutshell
Straight Up -- No Chaser
Wander With Wild Things
Bon Bon Rose
The Old Geezer Blog
Congrats, and happiness to you all! OK, that's enough for now. Think I'll go make myself a Euphoria Crown, grab Alan, and slow dance to Styxx!!
Thanks for Reading!!